Contact Us  |  About Us  |  FAQ  |  Hours & Location
(619) 280-1718

Do I need to carry scooter insurance in California?

vespa_gts_red_action_1Protect Your Investment

The answer is… YES!

According to California DMV regulations,  insurance is required if you want to ride legally on the streets or highways. In most cases, this means that you won’t be able to get a license plate or renew your registration for a motorbike without showing proof of insurance to the Dept. of Motor Vehicles authorities. There are a number of distinct types of policies you can select. Such protections can include:

  • Bodily Injury Liability
  • Property Damage Liability Limit
  • Uninsured Motorist Coverage
  • Collision Coverage
  • Comprehensive Coverage (includes Theft)

Protection against motorists lacking insurance is recommended for motorcyclists. Why? Because nearly 1.5 in 10 motorists lacks insurance. Since automobile drivers are often the culprit in crashes with motorcycles, it is critical to safeguard oneself monetarily.

California Liability Coverage Minimum Requirements

In California, the mandatory type of scooter insurance coverage is minimum liability.  Minimum liability covers you in financial terms if you are found to be at fault for personal injuries or damages to a 3rd party.

California has regulations mandating the minimum degree of liability coverage you must have. Typically, you will see these liability coverages posted as three cash figures. In California, the minimum requirements are currently $15,000/$30,000/$5,000.

With a Vespa, the all steel body and automotive quality paint finish results in costly repair bills so that just knocking over your bike in a driveway can, potentially, lead to the bike being written off by the insurer.

Always remember that standard liability coverage fails to offer protection to the rider, the machine being ridden, or passengers – only your legal risk as required by the state of California.

One saving grace with scooter insurance, is that it’s very affordable next to car and large motorcycle insurance. Since the scooters we carry are relatively low displacement engine size (under 500cc) your insurance should be pennies a day. We’ve heard of rates from $200 to $500 per-year.

We do not offer in house insurance, but we have partnered with one of our customers who’s specialized in finding the right insurance for you:

Daiju Yamaguchi
Farmers Insurance
3609 4th Ave Suite 100
San Diego, CA 92103
License Number: 0F51803



Scroll to top